the difference between design and reality
it constantly amazes me at how much specialization erodes the simple common sense ability of people and/or processes in everyday life. you need a specialist, yet, there seems to be a giant shift in the way companies are working with the people at the top and the folks doing the work on the lower levels. a simple example is a friend asking about a design and he took a pencil and erased some walls and move somethings around with his idea.
“yes, it is a valid idea and is possible. how much did you budget or think such pencil erasers would cost in time and money?”
it is the elements that while I love the digital world where so much information and data can be created and moved – the robot world and the CNC world is also available, yet, I see people either stuck 50 years behind or dreaming a little bit too far ahead. my friend with the design didn’t see or think what was buried in the existing walls and/or take into consideration things like load bearing loads and such.
with ideas, concepts and the work we do with agrowspace and augmanity. what is behind that simple idea is a ton of money and time invested in “how not to do something” and/or “don’t recreate the wheel” it looks simple, yet there are years of trial and error, practice, learning new things and all the other elements that go into if I draw a sketch – what has to happen behind it has been thought out to about 85% of the elements that are there. there are the unexpected things people do that account for the other 15% that is what the previous people did to either try to improve and/or do a cheap way to make something real.
everyone wants Rolls Royce quality, yet, when it comes to the reality of the time/labor/effort to get an auto that high level of perfection – why do people think it is the cost of a Kia.
I blame the internet and reality tv shows about how you redo an entire house in 22 minutes.
this note is by no means meant to say, “don’t dream about ideas” as the actual new agrowspace came out of me sitting one day making a freshwater fish farm where I put an office on a barge and/or pontoons on a lake….and then…..”why not put an agrowfarm there?” and then, “what if you could live in all that space?”
it was that simple…but it took about 13 years of various projects to understand how to actually build it, do it, and have it be available to ship and live anywhere on the planet.
the concept stage is the most fun….but I get leery of people handing you a design that has never built anything. I know great designers, I know great builders, what I don’t know is many that can do both well.